1. What would you consider a perfect day for you as an author?
A day where I sold a million copies. Kidding! A perfect day for me is either finishing a novel or seeing a great review on Amazon. It's really fun to see someone who really loves the story.
2. What sort of research (if any) did you do for this novel?
I spent a lot of time researching predictions for the future. The series/book is heavily based on my background in digital marketing. That said, I live in Chicago and worked in digital marketing, so a lot of the book came straight from my imagination.
3. Is there any character in particular that you enjoyed writing about the most?
I would say Ima, because she changes so much throughout the book. Nahum is based on a guy I had a crush on in 4th grade (right down to the name, even). Nasser is also exciting because he's got such big ideas and he's so damn reckless. He's willing to completely derail his entire hash just to pursue a dream. I'm a bit like him at times, to be honest.
4. Were any of your characters or events from the book based of real life people or experiences you have had?
Nasser was slightly inspired by my own approach toward leadership (why I shouldn't be a leader!). Nahum was inspired by a major crush I had in 4th grade, haha. No one else is similar to anyone I know in real life.
5. Are there any other projects you are working on that you would like to tell us about?
I would love to get a serialized fiction series going. I plan to start outlining fairly soon, hopefully the end of April. It's a challenge though, because everything has to be outlined before I start so all the delicious foreshadowing happens. Plus, I have no idea if people will buy serialized fiction. But I'm willing to take a chance.
6. Did any of your characters give you a difficult time while writing this book?
None of them gave me too much trouble, to be honest. Maybe Vaughn was a bit difficult—because he acts completely different around everyone else besides Ima, and the story is from Ima's viewpoint, so Vaughn seems a lot sweeter than he actually is. It's hard to portray that, but I'm hoping to make it clearer in the next book.
7. Cappuccino or Coffee
8. What do you like to do in your down time?
I am training for a marathon... I also love to read and spend time with my boyfriend and dog. I like restaurants and wine. I'm very simple!