Interview with Annette Bower author of Moving On: A Prairie Romance

Goddess Fish Promotions


Title: Moving On: A Prairie Romance
Author: Annette Bower
Publisher: 
XOXO Publishing

Synopsis:

Anna is a mysterious woman that has just moved to Regina Beach. The residents of the small town know everyone’s business and they are very interested in discovering Anna’s secrets. Nick was a Sergeant in the Canadian Army, doing active duty until a horrific accident sent him home to recover. He helps Anna feel safe and comfortable in her new environment, just as he has always done for his men in strange, dangerous places. Meanwhile, he focuses on preparing for his future physical endurance test to prove that he is capable of returning to active duty.

Anna doesn’t talk about her past, and Nick doesn’t talk about his future therefore she is shocked to discover that his greatest wish is to return to active duty. She won’t love a man who may die on the job again. Intellectually, she knows that all life cycles end, but emotionally, she doesn’t know if she has the strength to support Nick.

Buy Links

AmazonAll Romance

Giveaway!!


Annette will award a $25 GC to All Romance eBooks to one randomly drawn commenter, and a $10 Amazon GC to the host with the most comments (excluding Annette's and the host's).

Follow the tour for more chances to win!


Interview
  1. What would you consider a perfect day for you as an author?
A perfect day is when the aroma of fresh brewed coffee nudges me awake. I stroll into the kitchen and fill one of my favorite mugs with hot coffee. The sun lights up my condo. I go directly to my office (which the elves would have cleaned during the night). My computer is booted up and my manuscript is open. I write in my pajamas. My research is at hand, my research websites pop up.  When I’m hungry the yogurt and toasted English muffin and fresh salad are right there in the fridge and the berries are all washed. I skim the daily paper while I eat and then back to my computer. I’m immersed and when I look up and it is almost time for my husband to be home. Then I clean up and my clothes are magically pressed, with the flick of a brush my hair styles and the magical elves have set a wonderful dinner on the table. My husband and I share a lovely dinner, the magical elves tidy the kitchen while we snuggle on the couch and watch TV. We go to bed and tangle in the sheets. He falls asleep and I read before I turn out the lights.
  1. What sort of research (if any) did you do for this novel?
    I researched army life in Afghanistan, prosthesis, doll house building, grief, paddling a canoe as well as fishing. I also interviewed a soldier who had been to war.

  1. Is there any character in particular that you enjoyed writing about the most?
I enjoyed writing Nick. I was pleased to discover the reasons he joined the armed forces, and I enjoyed when he transferred his skills to his home town. I was glad when he opened up and began to hope for a new life.
  1. Were any of your characters or events from the book based on real life people or experiences you have had?
The characters and events are a compilation of real people I have met in my life and so are the experiences. I lived at Regina Beach for many years and therefore the setting was based on the season I experienced. The paths Anna walked and Nick rode his bike were paths I have taken many times. The house was a compilation of homes in the area. The Community was a place where I had attended many functions. The senior home was a place in our community where my mother-in-law was a resident for many years.
  1. Are there any other projects you are working on that you would like to tell us about?
Right at this time I am fine tuning a short story for a contest. I am developing an idea for another novel. I have an image and a plan to base the new novel on a short story.
  1. Did any of your characters give you a difficult time while writing this book?
Anna did. I wasn’t certain that she would be able to place her grief behind her as well as accept the limitations of living in a small community.
  1. Cappuccino or coffee?
Coffee with milk.
  1. What do you like to do in your down time?
I read, walk and ride my bicycle around my neighborhood and I love to travel in Canada, the United States, Europe and Asia.
  1. Do you relate to any of your characters?
I relate to Anna and Nick’s journey. I believe that friendship is the best foundation for a long term relationship. I think in many ways it is easier to build a friendship. Initially there is less at stake than when the hot iron of passion brands the heart. Although the sizzle of first attraction is exciting it can burn out just as quickly and can leave behind quite a scar. Both Anna and Nick have had enough pain and they are each cautious, friendship is a good place to start.
Excerpt 
Anna plowed through fallen leaves and broken twigs that were spread over the stone pathway leading to the stairs. The screened summer door sprung open but the solid weather door refused to budge. She twisted the key, jiggled the door knob and finally she turned sideways and bumped her hip against the stubborn paint- encrusted door. Banging against something and having it move felt wonderful. The momentary hip sting was an annoyance compared to the pain that she’d endured over the last year. Taking a deep breath she pushed the door open, inhaled stale air and watched dust motes floating on current of outside air.

The lawyer hadn’t known if Murray had spent any time here. Part of her wanted to look around and think of him as a carefree child, then a young man whole and alive, while the other part of her wanted a clean slate.    

Anna ran her hand over the white refrigerator and matching stove and trailed a finger in the dust on the country kitchen table and solid chairs. Through a large window was an expansive view of blue water. Her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth reminding her that she was thirsty. Anna turned the taps at the kitchen sink. They squeaked, but nothing came. All that water out there but none where she was going to live. She walked down a hallway and peered into rooms until she found the bathroom. The taps in the sink and tub repeated the noise and the toilet had green liquid in the bottom. She stomped her feet against the tiled floor. Damn. There were a few bottles of water in the car, but how would she use the other facilities? She didn’t know how to rough it; Murray was supposed to teach her how to camp in the wilds.


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Annette Bower lives and writes in Regina, SK Canada. She is an author of many short stories published in anthologies and magazines in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom. She explores women in families, women in communities and women at the beginning and end of love and their quest for love. She pursues the writing craft in workshops, conferences, Writing with Style, Banff Centre for the Arts, Victoria School of Writing, Sage Hill Writing Experience, the Surrey International Writing Conferences and the Romance Writing of America Conferences. 

When she isn’t writing she walks or bikes around the streets and parks in her neighborhood imagining complex worlds behind seemingly ordinary events.

Her first contemporary romance, Moving On A Prairie Romance is published by XoXo Publishing™ a division of Ninni Group Inc.

Author Links

 
Recommendations:

I have just been reading MOVING ON on my Kindle. It's lovely... -- a gentle, feel-good book with a nice variety of individualized characters and a positive over-all message. The familiar setting was a treat too. Congratulations! I would recommend it. - Mary Balogh: http://www.marybalogh.com/

 
“Moving On: A Prairie Romance” by Annette Bower In “Moving On: A Prairie Romance”, Annette Bower explores the redemptive power of affection. When we meet Nick and Anna, the characters at the centre of the novel, both are reeling from devastating personal tragedies, and both are fearful of making a connection that would open them to future pain. In the course of the novel, Nick and Anna slowly but surely learn to trust and to hope. Bower’s warm tale of the coming together of her two very likable protagonists is told with a keen eye and an understanding heart. This lake-side romance is perfect summer reading. ….Gail Bowen, author of the Joanne Kilbourn series.  http://www.gailbowen.com/

Comments

  1. Any time you find the formula for that perfect day for an author, Annette, be so good as to pass it along, will you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mary,
      I will pass it on. I've an advertisement out in Elf- land and waiting for the applications to come in.
      Thank you for finding Katie and me today and stopping by to share our interview and a comment.
      Yours truly,
      Annette Bower

      Delete
  2. Hello Katie,
    Thank you for hosting me today on Curse of the Bibliophile. I enjoyed dreaming about the perfect day for me as an author. Now my search is on for the elves.
    Yours truly,
    Annette Bower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem and thank you for doing this interview!

      -Katie

      Delete
  3. Great interview, Annette and Katie! After you're done with the elves please send them my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karyn,
      After Mary, you'll be next.

      Thank you for dropping on by Katie's Curse of the Bibliophile and staying to comment.
      Yours truly,
      Annette Bower

      Delete
  4. Your perfect author day sounds divine. I love the blurb and the excerpt. Moving On sounds very sweet.

    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine Lee,
      Wouldn't it be grand to experience that type of day? That is why we continue to dream.
      Thank you for coming for a visit and commenting on Moving On-A Prairie Romance.
      Yours truly,
      Annette Bower

      Delete
  5. Dear Katie,
    It is time for this visitor to leave your wonderful company and go to bed.
    Thank you for hosting today.
    I look forward to seeing your name out and about on twitter, facebook and other blog visitor tours.
    Yours truly,
    Annette Bower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for visiting and I hope you have a great day!!

      -Katie

      Delete
  6. Okay, I am one of the tour host, but I really love the cover and I can't comment it on my own - and so that's my story of being here.. :) By the way, AMAZING COVER, Annette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vidya,
      I enjoyed being your guest on Books are Magic on April 30. You were my first stop on this two week tour.
      Thank you for coming over to The Curse of the Bibliophile and commenting on Moving On-A Prairie Romance's cover. The credit goes straight to Kayden McLeod of XoXo Publishing(TM). She found Anna straight away from my description and then we tweaked the background.
      I'll pass your comment on to Kayden.
      Yours truly,
      Annette Bower

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your post about your perfect day. Especially about the elves cleaning up the kitchen! Also the comment about friendship being a good basis for relationship. These days people expect to be married a lifetime when they have nothing in common with each other! Good luck to you Annette and reading your book was a wonderful experience. I hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debra,
    Thank you for dropping in and commenting. And thank you for reading Moving On-A Prairie Romance. It is wonderful to hear comments from someone who has enjoyed the story of Nick and Anna.
    I'll be on more tours when another book hits the market and I'll make sure that you find out.
    Yours truly,
    Annette Bower

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Katie and readers,
    This is my last check for commenters to be entered into the draw.
    Thank you for stopping by and reading about Moving On-A Prairie Romance.
    Thank you Katie for hosting me on Curse of the Bibliophile.
    Yours truly,
    Annette Bower

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment