Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl

Beautiful CreaturesTitle: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Bought

Synopsis:


There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.



Buy Links

AmazonBarnes and Noble




My Thoughts
Forbidden love in the south.

Normally I don’t read books that have the boys POV, especially a romance book. This one though grabbed my attention and I am so glad it did. Beautiful Creatures far exceeded my expectations and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the next books. 

The plot was unique and imaginative giving life to a whole new world divided up into casters and non – casters. I really liked the unique paranormal twist to this book and loved getting to know more about casters. Another big aspect to the story was the mystery that included some interesting historical elements. I loved how they handled this and that it gave me just enough info to keep me coming back for more without completely giving everything away in the beginning.
  
I also loved how they included all of the amazing quotes! They didn’t just stick them in either they actually flowed with the rest of the book and added to the whole mystery.

Ethan was really the main character in the book since we get to see everything through his eyes. He was a pretty average teenage boy, but he had a kind heart. I really liked how unlike the rest of the school he actually gave Lena a chance and didn’t just believe what others were saying. He was also very brave in my opinion. Of course anyone who can stand up to Lena’s uncle is brave to me. I love his character, but he can be formidable when he is protecting his loved ones.

Lena was an interesting young woman who has accepted her fate, but with the help of Ethan soon begins her journey to change it. I like that she isn’t whiny and doesn’t mind getting dirty to find the truth. She is a courageous girl with the brains to match.

This is an exciting series that I couldn’t get enough of!

Comments