Radiant by Belinda Williams

RadiantTitle: Belinda Williams
Author: Radiant
Source: Amazon Ebook, purchased by me
Rating: 4 Stars


From Goodreads:

Do you believe in angels and demons? They believe in you...

2013 Romance Writers of Australia Emerald award finalist.

Lily Ainsworth, a twenty-eight year old Emergency Department nurse, is used to keeping calm under pressure - until the day she wakes up to find herself a patient in the very ED she works in. A victim of a near fatal hit and run, Lily recalls nothing of the accident. The only witness is the mysterious and charming, Leo.

As she attempts to return to normal life, Lily is plagued by strange events, which has her wondering whether the hit and run was merely a coincidence, or if it was something much more sinister...

Drawn to Leo, Lily confides in him and reveals long unanswered questions about the disappearance of her mother twenty-five years earlier. But his presence appears to come at a price.

Suddenly thrown into a dark world she doesn't recognise and fighting to stay alive, Lily begins to realise the key to her survival lies in answering the questions surrounding her past.

It's a journey that will change her life forever, make her question everything she has ever believed in, and test her feelings for Leo in ways she never imagined.



Buy Links

Amazon


My Thoughts

Radiant is a look at another realm, one that is operating behind the scenes in our own familiar world of cars, houses, families and jobs.  It’s a world that we might wonder about, but one that is completely hidden from us. Williams pulls back the veil slowly but surely, revealing Angels and Demons, a place where there is another kind of war going on behind the scenes between good and evil.  The details of this place are fascinating and I couldn’t wait to unravel the mystery along with the main character Lily.

Radiant has it all, fast cars (and motorcycles), hot guys, a likeable leading lady who seems like an every girl, a girl who is strong but also has a hidden past within her family that makes her vulnerable.  And we learn, as she does, these new fascinating things about her world and about her past.  The book is also an action packed thriller that races you along at lightning speed, turning pages, desperate to get more of this world and to understand more about what is happening to the characters. We get involved in car accidents, bar fights, a chase through the woods and a standoff.  

The book is set in Sydney Australia which I found really interesting as an American.  They have some different words for things, like lounge instead of couch or lounge room for living room and their times of the year are opposite from what we experience. Christmas is in the summer, where typically it’s winter for us here.Despite this or maybe partially because of it, you really get to like Lily and learn about her aussie world. 

Lily is a nurse who likes to help people and she’s forced to make a big decision about her life when she realizes the truth about what is happening behind the scenes.  Her life is in danger for much of the book as well and this sets her on the run. And Lily isn’t a wimp, like some leading ladies, she’s a strong character who wants to take care of herself.  But of course every leading lady needs a sexy counterpart and so we meet Leo, her love interest, a guy she falls for but can’t seem to understand.  He seems like he’s in to her and is always there for her, but when she tries to get close he freezes. What is he hiding?? 

Overall, it’s a great read. The characters, plot, pacing, action and the writing style in general were all great.  I highly recommend it!  


 

Guest Reviewer

Check out Victoria's blog here

Hi all!  My name is Victoria Sawyer and I’m going to be doing a few guest posts for Curse of the Bibliophile.  Before I get into it, I thought I’d give you a bit of information about me.  I am 30 years old (young) and I’ve been a reading addict since I was a child (the first step is to admit you have a problem).  I can remember reading in my bed at night with a flashlight because I should have been sleeping.  I kept telling myself, just one more chapter, just one more page, just finish this thing, I gotta know what happens! 

Now-a-days I am still an avid reader.  I love to be swept up into a story.  Things are a bit different for me now though because for the past few years I’ve been working on writing my own novel.  When you become a serious writer yourself things are a bit different because suddenly you understand that writers aren’t these great gods somewhere imparting story into your head, they are real people who craft their words with care and as a writer I began to notice how writers were doing this.  It was cool, but it was also sort of annoying because I started noting the mechanisms they were using and it was harder to fall into a story with ease.  So I guess I’d say I’m a bit more picky now about writing.  But when done right, I can definitely still fall head over heels in love with a story!

I’ve also just published my own novel, oh about 2 weeks ago on Amazon.  A huge accomplishment for me!  Well, without further ado, let’s jump in some words, stories and emotions together! 

Comments