Interview with Author Jess C. Scott

I would first like to thank Jess C. Scott for allowing me to interview her and welcome her to Curse of the Bibliophile! 


AUTHOR BIO:
Jess is an independent author/artist/non-conformist who's dedicated to writing original stories that are both meaningful and entertaining. She works in a diverse range of genres, such as contemporary fiction, YA fiction, poetry, urban fantasy, and cyberpunk. Her website is jessINK.com




What got you into writing?

I've always loved reading--writing just seemed to be a natural endeavor!

Professionally, I like creating original stories that are both meaningful and entertaining. My irritation with the mainstream media's commoditized portrayal of sex and relationships fueled the direction for my first book (EyeLeash: A Blog Novel).

Where/how did you come up with the idea for the novel?

I wrote down the words "cyberpunk" and "elves" together during a random brainstorming session in 2008. This led to the outline for The Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy (I'm currently editing the second book).

Did any of your characters give you a hard time while writing the book?

Most of them do. The more personality a character has, the more trouble it is while writing the book (got to make sure all the details and elements are cohesive).

Coffee or Cappuccino?

White Tea. Not a coffee lover, sorry! Though I do like the aroma...

Do you have any other projects that you are working on that you would like to tell us about?

I'm currently completing The Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy, and will have a couple of other urban fantasy projects I'd like to see to (one involving dragons, and the other involving incubi). I recently completed Skins, a short story mini collection for animal lovers (freebie on my website).

What would be a perfect day for you as a writer?

A productive day (some reading, some writing, some physical exercise, some socializing, and a little bit of rest and relaxation).

Roughly how long did it take you to write the books in "The Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy"?

The first drafts were done in a few weeks (with a comprehensive outline that took several weeks to draft). Editing the first draft takes several months (I've three separate layers of "enhancements" for this project -- urban fantasy elements, cyberpunk elements, and romantic elements).

In total it probably took about three years (from working on the initial idea to the final completion of project). The second and third books will be available in 2012.

Did the idea for any scene or part of the books come from any experiences you have had?

Mostly from imagination (such as this excerpt about the elves' underground train system).

Comments